An easy vegan pastry dessert and easily one of my favourite recipes to make for every season and can be used for a wide variety of different fruit & veggies. Truly a vegan & plant based foodies dream.
I love to make galettes when I have excess fruits and I’m craving some easy made desserts! Apple galettes are totally my favourite fruit to use when making this recipe, specifically honey crisp apples…Smething about these apples were very addicting: the apples are sweet, juicy and crunchy at the same time. There is something about apples in season and especially from farmers market that makes me love fall all the more. This galette recipe would be perfect for using up the extra fruits in your kitchen.
Galettes are a really simple pastry you can fill with both sweet and savory items. My personal favourite is using fruit to create apple galettes and strawberry galettes, but asparagus with cashew ricotta cheese also tops the list. Sweet galettes can be eaten as is or I HIGHLY recommend some ice cream on the side. This vegan pastry is a delicious and easy recipe to make and is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party.
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 apples, sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flour (can be any kind)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- non-dairy milk
- brown sugar
- Stick the butter in the freezer for 30 mins, until it is quite cold. This is important because the butter will melt while you are forming the dough.
- Using a food processor, add flour and butter (cut the butter into smaller tbsp sizes). If you don't have a food processor, add the butter into the flour and massage the mixture until the butter breaks down into smaller chunks or a crumbly texture.
- Add ice cold water one tbsp at a time, pulsing or mixing well before adding the next one. Once your finished with the water add the apple cider vinegar and mix well. The dough should form into smaller chunks and should be able to squish it together. If the mixture is too dry add one additional tbsp of ice cold water.
- Lightly flour your work surface and begin forming your dough. DO NOT kneed for too long, need until the dough comes together and form into a thick disk. Dough should not be sticky or wet, if it is add flour. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 400.
- Prepare the filling by coring and slicing the apple into thin individual slices. Place all ingredients for the filling in the bowl and mix well.
- Roll out the dough into a circle about 1/8" thick. Arrange the apple slices in the middle of the dough leaving about 1" space around the edges so you can fold the dough when you are finished arranging the filling.
- Wash the edges with milk, and sprinkle brown sugar around the edges.
- Bake for 40 -50 mins until the edges are browned.
As always please share and leave a comment if you try this recipe!