If you have social media you have probably come across the Swedish craze termed “feta pasta” where you bake tomatoes and feta cheese and mix it all together to create this cheesy, goey goodness. Of course since I do not eat any type of cheese (although I used to LOVE feta) I made a simple substitution of using hummus. I do use my own homemade hummus but store bought would work just as well. A great way to enhance this dish is using a flavoured hummus like roasted red pepper, chipotle or garlic!
There are few simple steps to create this easy, less than 30 minute pasta meal that is sure to be a hit. Simply roast tomatoes and hummus with a load of herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme and olive oil, mix in your cooked pasta with a little reserved pasta water and you have a meal! You can totally be part of the viral TikTok trend without having to eat any dairy products and keep within the whole food plant based diet.
You are absolutely free to add other veggies in the roast. In this version, I had an extra red pepper lying around and just chopped it up and added it to the baking dish. I have also tried and absolutely loved adding olives as it really fit in nicely with the notes of oregano and garlic in this dish. I have also seen a green version with colourful cherry tomatoes, spinach, asparagus and broccoli! Below you’ll find a base recipe from which you can work from using what you have in lying in your fridge.
VEGAN “FETA” HUMMUS PASTA
- 1 package of fusilli pasta
- 1/2 container of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp each of oregano, basil, thyme, garlic
- 1/3 c hummus
- 1/2 c pasta water
- 1/4 c olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a medium sized baking pan, add cherry tomatoes, olive oil, herbs and a pinch of salt.
- Carve space in the middle of the pan for your hummus.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until tomatoes are roasted
- In the meantime, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 c of pasta water.
- When tomatoes are roasted, use a fork to mash the tomatoes and hummus and mix in the pasta water. Add in the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately!