I believe that everyone, their mothers and grandmothers, have made a leek and potato soup. I always like to add a little bit of protein to my soups to sustain me throughout the day, and split peas make a perfect addition to this classic! I did not soak the split peas before hand so its a perfect time crunch soup as well.
For this soup you should not use the dark green parts of the leeks but you can save them for a later dish. Simply prepare all the ingredients and throw it into the pot to cook. I’ve made this early in the morning before I go to work because it requires very minimal effort and it can do its thing while you do you! The soup will naturally be thick because of the starchy potatoes and the split peas, but you are welcome to add a little bit of coconut milk if that is something you enjoy to have in your soups! I prefer to top the soup with a nice cool cashew creme and croutons.
LEEK, POTATO AND SPLIT PEA SOUP
- 2 medium sized yukon gold potatoes
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 c yellow split pea, rinsed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 c vegetable stock (or water)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, sumac, red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme, paprika
- Wash and rinse the split peas really well a couple of times. This is important.
- Sautee the onion with olive oil in a large soup pot until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, leeks and peas. Mix, and add the spices. Let the spices and veg cook for 30 seconds and then add the stock. Add a pinch of salt as well.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 mins, or until the split peas are completely cooked.
- Blend ingredients together using an emersion blender or stand blender. Top with croutons and cashew creme!
Hope you try this amazing, fulfilling dish! Please leave a rating and comment on your experience with this soup.