I can attest that this has happened to everyone I know – you buy a large carton of berries with the full intention of consuming them in the upcoming days. You forget about them. They go bad. Your reminded that they are there and shocked to see they have gone bad. I’ll reason with you – it seems that certain berries (ahem, strawberries) turn bad so quickly I am reluctant to ever buy them again…which I end up doing anyways. Nonetheless, I present you a perfect dessert to use up these pesky berries and satisfy your sweet tooth in the process. I have to say that I am totally comfortable buying strawberries because any leftover or about to go bad berries can always be repurposed into this dessert.
This dessert is made up of three layers: a yummy cookie base, strawberry goodness, and topped with a thin layer of crumble for that added texture. These make perfect takeaway bars for when you are packing a lunch, as a yummy snack, or a sweet breakfast option for when you are on the go in the morning. As usual I love to pair my desserts with a cup of tea, or even a cup of almond milk if you’ve got kids!
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 c oats
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 3/4 c melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large container of strawberries, chopped (3-4 cups)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 c white
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking dish with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Mix all crust ingredients minus the butter. Add 1/2 c of butter and mix well until a crumble forms. Set aside 1/3 c of mixture for the topping. Add the remaining butter and mix well until dough forms. Pack into dish
- Mix strawberry ingredients together and pour on top of crust
- Sprinkle a thin layer of remaining crumble mixture on top of strawberries. It doesn't need to cover all strawberries completely. Bake for 40-45 mins until top layer is well browned.
Hope you get to try this delectable berry dessert!